Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Heart of Gold


On Sunday I finally had the day that I'd crossed the ocean for. My fellow WWOOFers and I hit the road to find an adventure and ended up at a beach that seriously made my heart jump up into my throat it was so gorgeous. I wanted to give this beach a standing ovation...it bloody went to 11...I have no words for how stinking amazing it was. Beach 69 is mainly a local hangout, on the South Kohala coast at the 69 mile marker on the highway. It's has pure white sand beach, lots of pretty, gnarled old trees for shade, beautiful aqua water, and a long protected cove for tranquil swimming. My new friends and I scribbled in our Hawaiian coloring book, drank some delicious beers, chatted, swam and enjoyed the sunshine.

Oh and here's the final magic touch: Neil Young's house is on this beach! See that tree on the left hand side of the picture? Right there is good ole Neil's modest residence. I swam out there with a friend, peeked around a little and sat on the rocky point, playing with Neil's super friendly and very vocal cat. As I was swimming back (doing a little backstroke for Patty), I was feeling so happy and free, I started to sing a little...keep me searching for a heart of gold...and I'm getting old....

Back on the beach, we played with a gigantic sea turtle who swam right up to shore and I climbed a tree to watch the sunset. I know this will sound so pathetic coming from a gal who's not even thirty, but life has made me feel a little haggard lately, like some old bitter spinster. I've had a romance hangover, and who doesn't feel old and depleted the morning after a little too much partying? Sitting up on that tree, being truly in the moment for the first time in a long time, it all just lifted. Goddamn, life is sweet sometimes. Keeps me searching, keeps me mining. Then, true to form, I ungracefully fell out of the tree and bloodied my arm.

2 comments:

  1. What's a perfect day without a new bloody scrape? Nuthin.

    I love this post, and I love your delicious, magical, Blue Lagoon-y Sunday. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done indeed. Sorry I haven't logged in to read in a few days. What a glorious day. And thanks for doing the backstroke for me.

    love you.......Patty

    ReplyDelete