Friday, September 4, 2009

Weird Hawaiian Foods


I've gotten on this kick recently of trying out all the strange foods I can find at the grocery store, cause what the hell, I'm in Hawaii so I might as well eat all the weird shit I can find while I'm here. The canned juice is of course wonderful, my favorite so far being strawberry guava, which is kind of like a smoothie in a can. I'm also kind of obsessed with all the little strange candied things they have here. So far my favorite is the lemon strips, which are actually dried lemon rind with aspartame. I can't explain it, but they're really good and really bitter. I shared some with my fellow WWOOFers and they thought I was trying to poison them. I guess it's an acquired taste. Maybe my life has conditioned me to have an appreciation for bitterness lately.


By far my favorite find so far has been the above snack combination. Seaweed salad (available in every deli section of every grocery store) and shrimp poke. Poke is kind of like the Hawaiian version of ceviche, my favorite (above) is kim chee flavored. Put all of that on a Maui onion potato chip and you've got the most heavenly little snack on the planet. Sounds weird I know, but it is a great combination of salty, sweet, crunchy and vinegary all in the same mouthful. It's a great little post-gardening snack.

1 comment: