Thursday, October 1, 2009

Elly Extravaganza, Kohala

Elly and I made it back to Hawi for a couple of days to regroup and check in on the garden. Everything came up so fast while I was gone and I realized how much I missed my little corner of paradise. She came to work with me one morning. She laughed while I got butt checked by the goat I was milking and was a great sport when we did some dumpster diving for cardboard to suffocate the perpetual weeds.


After garden duty, I got to show her one of the most beautiful spots on the island--Pololu. It's at the end of the road in Kohala and is the beginning of the stunning Waipio Valley, actually a series of deep gorges that run into the ocean. The towns in the valley were wiped out in an earthquake in the 80's and since then it has just grown back into jungle. We drove to end of the road, shared a bottle of champagne and took in the vista of the black sand beach below.




I love that my new office is a garden and my uniform is suspenders and sandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment