Monday, July 27, 2009

All You Need is a Freezer


I was in Portland a couple weeks ago visiting my dear friend, spending lots of time in her pretty little garden, walking the dog and cruising around the town. It was SO hot the only thing that sounded good was cool and delicious ice cream. We had a mound of homemade creme fraiche and some serious motivation to make a cold and creamy treat. One problem: no ice cream maker. Turns out you don't need one. You just make the custard, put it in the freezer and blend it every now and again so that it doesn't get all icey. Not that we didn't have to do some experiments to figure this out. You can see one the useless methods above (swirling the custard in a big pot of ice water). Totally unneccesary but amusing.

Just when I thought that there was no way that homemade ice cream could get any better, I came across a recipe that combines my two favorite foods: butter and cream. I'm from the Mid-West and love me some dairy. Oh sweet lord, what a combination....we used that beautiful creme fraiche instead of cream. It was so rich and gorgeous, I could only eat one tiny little scoop! There is an awesome recipe (with pictures!) at this great little food blog.

In Seattle my folks were hit with the craze (it was scorching hot there too) and we made a tangy blueberry variety. Now that I'm in Hawaii, my host family is also completely mad about the good stuff. They've been doing a passionfruit and goat's milk version that is so sour and sweet and reminds me of orangesicles from when I was a kid. Funny how life has these recurring themes. I'm really grateful that my life themes have switched from shattering self-doubt and misery to ice cream and traveling. Things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment