Monday, July 27, 2009

Wine Makes Me Feel Dumb, But It Sure Does Taste Good!

Having friends in the wine business really pays off. My lovely friend Elly, co-owner of Proof Wine Marketing, has been a major blessing in my life in so many ways, and I'm not even talking about all the cool wine events that she manages to get me invited to. Last week we both found ourselves in Portland. She was there for the International Pinot Noir Festival. I was there on my way from San Luis to Seattle. Lovely lady that she is, Elly invited me to come wine tasting with her at a few places before the festival officially commenced. Being unemployed, free and socially acceptable drunkenness in the middle of the afternoon sounded like a fine idea indeed.


We visited three wineries specializing in Oregon pinot noir. Apparently Oregon pinot is like manna from the gods if you're a wine geek, which of course is why the festival is in Portland. Here I must insert that I know absolutely nothing about wine. My decisions about purchasing it boil down to two very simple questions: 1) does the label look cool? and 2) is it under $10? I cannot tell the difference between a fine wine and 2 buck chuck. Personally, I think this makes me the ideal tasting companion--I can be effusive and complimentary to any winemaker because it all tastes great to me!

This tasting tour was not your run of the mill, 5-varieties-in-30-minutes-while-getting-your-wine-poured-by-an-20-year-old-viticulture-student-"don't-you-want-to-join-our-wine-club?" schpeel. We actually got to hunker down with each of the winemakers for a couple of hours, walk through the vineyards and taste from the barrels. This was insider wine tasting. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the process, of particular interest since I've been boning up on my plant knowledge for my farming stint in Hawaii.

Here are just a couple of things that I learned about wine that maybe you didn't know either:
1) Everything from the mineral content of the soil to the amount and timing of rainfall effects the flavor of the grapes
2) That contraption they use to taste from the barrels is called the thief and the hole in the barrel they draw it out of is called the bung-hole. (Here my inner linguistics geek rapturously squeals!)
3) When they treat the wooden barrels for wine fermentation, it's called "toasting" the barrel. This makes me think of warm buttered toast and makes me really happy. I started imagining that I could taste it in the wines and frankly it made me like them even better. (This was sign number one that I should have spit like everyone else.)


Forgive me if you know all this already, but frankly I found it fascinating. It was amazing to see these winemakers who control everything from the vine to the bottling with such care and attention. These artisans were way passionate amassing knowledge about agriculture, new technology, marketing and of course good wine and food. I had no idea wine making was so cool. I love folks that really geek out on shit and everyone we met was totally freaking on making the best pinot noir possible. My inner dweeb felt a kinship. It could have been the six solid hours of guzzling wine, but I choose to believe that I simply have an appreciation for folks with a passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment