Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Self Regard

I've had a lot of time to ponder these days. Sometimes that feels like a blessing and sometimes it makes my brain want to gnaw its way out of my skull from too much overprocessing. One thing I keep thinking about is this little phrase that does sommersaults in my mind and keeps me guessing.

Self-regard
Regarding the self

We all know of self-regard as it means something like self-esteem or positive self-image. I wonder these days how much that comes down to just looking at yourself. Looking in the same way that you would look at the rain coming down, or the road that you're traveling. Just looking for the sake of looking. Not looking to have an opinion or to find something. I wonder if this is the beginning of good self-regard. Just to look without judgment and be able to say "Yup, that's me." Whether its your short temper or your beautiful voice. Either one, just to look and know and stop with all the criticism and praise.

When
No one is looking
I swallow deserts and clouds
And chew on mountains knowing
They are sweet
Bones!
When no one is looking and I want
To kiss
God
I just life my own hand
To
My
Mouth

HAFIZ

No comments:

Post a Comment