Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Volcano Period

I went to Exploratorium in San Francisco last week and they had this amazing demonstration.  It was a plate of sand and when you turned a nozzle at the bottom, a stream of air started to flow into the plate.  For a while, the pressure just built at the bottom, making a little air bubble.  But then it built up so much that it broke through and the air started to come up through the sand.  It looked like a volcano, and it was amazing.  Under pressure.

Just wanted to point out a strange theme: the last year of my life has been characterized mainly by volcanos: emotional poo-canos, six months living on an active volcano in Hawaii and now my newest adventure being shut down by an Icelandic volcano.  Maybe Freud would say that I need to come to terms with own inner explosiveness or something.  Or maybe I was a volcano goddess in a past life.

This is one of my favorite photos from the batch I got developed this week.  The arrows and the colors and everything just make me happy.  When I look at it, it reminds me of some x-rays that I used to have up on the wall.  I like to image that is it an x-ray of my feelings: red and volatile and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment